Re: pg_dumpall restore question

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 at 14:40, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> writes:

> >> There is no consensus even in the Linux world on this, so I don't think
> >> our choice is better or worse. It just depends on the popularity of the
> >> Linux distro the SO poster used :)
> >
> > There is one advantage - postgres defaults to creating a postgres
> > database, so having the default user match that avoids a NetBSD
> > specific "oh, you have to add a database name to every psql command"
>
> Except that pgsql is super user, and really should be used only for
> doing database admin things, and then almost everything is done under
> some other user.

Such as running some sql to create users, databases, and grant
appropriate permissions to those users? :-p

It's also a good question as to why bother to have that "postgres"
database, if we don't have the matching user like most other systems

If we were starting with postgres now I'd be vigorously pushing to use
user "postgres" to match most other systems and avoid the gratuitous
extra annoyance on running commands, but now it would be a change to
existing systems, with all the migration effort that implies. So while
I would love to have it, it can be safely assumed that enough other
people would regard the benefits as not worth that effort, so...

David