Re: Modernizing emulators/simh snapshots

On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 at 20:05, Olaf Seibert <rhialto%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Simh is the emulator for pdp-11 / vax / pdp-10 / lots of others.
>
> Currently emulators/simh is at a snapshot from 3 years ago (2018-09-19).
> Unfortunately, upstream doesn't do releases. However in the mean time
> many improvements have been made.
>
> Was this snapshot date chosen for any particular reason? Is there any
> reason not to update it?
>
> If not (if I don't hear any in reasonable time), I will update simh to a
> recent date, and I intend to keep doing that for each pkgsrc stable
> branch. I am on the simh mailing list and follow the issues on github,
> so if there is serious breakage (which happens seldomly) I would hear
> about it.

I generally dislike packages not based on releases, but there really
isn't any choice when upstream don't make releases...

In this case, I think it makes a lot of sense :)

Thanks for taking this on - are you planning on switching MAINTAINER
to your email too?

David