Linker failing with gcc10

Hello,

I installed pkgsrc on an HPC environment with the intention of using
it as a non-root package manager. I successfully built (at least the
build went to completion) gcc10, but when I try to build any other
package or compile anything at all, I get the error /usr/bin/ld:
cannot find -lgcc_s. I have never built a compiler before so I don't
really know how to troubleshoot this. In the pkgsrc installed gcc10
lib64 directory I see there is a libgcc.a. I used a system gcc loaded
as a module to build gcc10 and the module lib directory has a
libgcc_s.so symlinked to libgcc_s.so.1. Perhaps that is the problem.
Is there a way to get the linker to stop looking for libgcc_s?

Thanks