Re: Recently committed rust 1.54.0 update breaks building librsvg on AArch64

On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 11:10:05 +0200
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> > Maybe we can revert this change with a pkgsrc patch?
> >
> > https://github.com/rust-lang/compiler-builtins/commit/96bc62e669403a82a1becfc7863bdc17f7317d68
> >
> > I will try and see how it goes.
>
> Or update to a pre release version of rustc, like libvips did ;-}
>
> Classic example of rust as a ... suboptimal choice for an
> implementation language (or at least the rustc project as a disaster
> choice for a compiler provider).
>
> Maybe instead we should just downgrade to 1.53 and create a rule to not
> update rust before a firefox release that requires a new version is in
> pkgsrc (or in preparation for that, to avoid chicken vs. egg problems).

FWIW I think the new rust does build Firefox.
I ran into the librsvg issue as well but opted to do
"pkg_rolling-replace -rsuv -X librsvg"
to keep the old librsvg binary package I had and pkg_rr finished all my
other packages including Firefox.

Since we are in a pkgsrc freeze I think it is safer to just revert
the aarch64 specific change than to cause churn and versions going
backwards by downgrading rust. Assuming the revert solves the problem
of course.

-Tobias