Re: Starting with pkgsrc on pristine system: update

Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 8:58 AM Thomas Mueller <mueller6725%twc.com@localhost> wrote:
>> Question is now how pervasive lang/go14 is as a dependency through
>> pkgsrc.  Can I still build a productive system with development
>> tools and multimedia, or am I crippled?
>
> If you want to avoid building go14, you can try editing
> lang/go/bootstrap.mk to make it use the go-bin package for
> bootstrapping Go.

And, if you don't like go, or you don't like rust, then your issue is
not with pkgsrc, but with various upstreams that choose to use these
languages.

go at least has a bootstrap story from C, and seems to be somewhat
portable; I don't know if it it works more or less everywhere like
python.  And you can build go on a RPI3 with 1G of RAM with no special
trouble.  Overall, go isn't really the pain point in the modern world --
that title seems to belong to rust.

I concur that it sounds like Thomas has hardware issues.  (And, if the
system crashes while building pkgsrc, then that isn't a pkgsrc bug in
the first place.)