Re: chat/hexchat build failure

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 03:43:38PM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> On a amd64 host running NetBSD 9.99.81 (updated just prior to the switch
> from gcc-9 to -10, so still running -9), and with pkgsrc updated to just
> a few hours ago.  Starting from a completely empty chroot sandbox (as
> created by pkgtools/mksandbox), I've rebuilt everything (including all
> of hexchat's dependencies).
>
> I'm seeing the following build failure:

> ninja: Entering directory `output'
> [1/81] Generating textevents with a custom command
> FAILED: src/common/textevents.h src/common/textenums.h
> /tmp/pkgs/chat/hexchat/work.x86_64/hexchat-2.14.3/src/common/make-te.py ../src/common/textevents.in src/common/textevents.h src/common/textenums.h
> env: python3: No such file or directory
>
> (The entire log file is only 16kb, so I've attached it to this E-mail.)
>
> Anyone got any clues?

pkgsrc does not provide a "python3" binary by default, if you're not
using pkg_alternatives.

However, for building from pkgsrc, lang/python/tool.mk provides one.
This was until recently included from devel/meson/build.mk, but it's
not needed everywhere.

The fix is to include the file directly in chat/hexchat/Makefile, i.e. add

PYTHON_FOR_BUILD_ONLY=	  tool
.include "../../lang/python/tool.mk"

to the Makefile.

(If hexchat needs python at runtime, do not add the
PYTHON_FOR_BUILD_ONLY line.)

Cheers,
 Thomas