Re: new glib2 c++ template errors in inkscape,gegl,wireshark

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 09:09:43AM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 03:28:12PM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:

> > > It was committed before the freeze.
> > >
> > > I've asked adam to back this out for now.
> >
> > Thank you to adam@ for backing out his glib2 update.
> >
> > The gobject-introspection update should also be backed out - it
> > contains .gir files for glib2, so will contain symbols which don't
> > exist yet.
>
> Can this cause breakage, and if so how?

The theory goes as follows: programs which use Gnome libraries, but which
use a language other than C, discover the symbols of those of libraries
in the libraries' .gir files, which are created by gobject-introspection
when the libraries are built. This is fine, except in the case of glib,
which gobject-introspection depends on. Rather than create a circular
dependency between glib and gobject-introspection (which I think existed
for a time(!)), gobject-introspection ships the .gir file for glib.
This means that those 2 packages should be in synch, otherwise the
.gir file in gobject-introspection could claim the existence of symbols
which don't actually exist in the glib library.

Cheers,

Patrick