building print/libcups, cannot set ulimit on centos stream

Trying to build libcups on Centos Stream I am getting the following error:

=> Applying pkgsrc patches for libcups-2.3.3nb5
===> Creating toolchain wrappers for libcups-2.3.3nb5
===> Configuring for libcups-2.3.3nb5
cd /usr/pkgsrc/print/libcups/work/cups-2.3.3 && aclocal && autoconf
=> Modifying GNU configure scripts to avoid --recheck
=> Replacing config-guess with pkgsrc versions
=> Replacing config-sub with pkgsrc versions
=> Replacing install-sh with pkgsrc version
=> Fixing locale directory references.
/usr/pkg/bin/mksh: ulimit: -m: unknown option
/usr/pkg/bin/mksh: ulimit: usage: ulimit [-acdefHilnpqrSstvx] [value]
/usr/pkg/bin/mksh: ulimit: -m: unknown option
/usr/pkg/bin/mksh: ulimit: usage: ulimit [-acdefHilnpqrSstvx] [value]
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake[1]: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/print/libcups
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/print/libcups

.../usr/bin/ulimit accepts -m and I also have installed shells/bash (which accepts it) and tried adding it to pkg/etc/mk.conf; the results are the same.

It seems like a problem with mksh's internal ulimit?

---

[root@deadrat-localdomain libcups]# mksh
# ulimit -m
mksh: ulimit: -m: unknown option
mksh: ulimit: usage: ulimit [-acdefHilnpqrSstvx] [value]
# `which ulimit` -m
unlimited
# echo `which ulimit`
/usr/bin/ulimit
#

---

I'm not sure how to work around this. Any help would be appreciated -thank you!