Re: NetBSD-current dropped all LOCALBASE support?

John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost> writes:

> What happened to LOCALBASE support in the pkg tools in -current? On an
> updated system with 9.99.77 and a cvs updated pkgsrc tree:

My impression is that nothing has changed.

> pkg_admin rebuild
> pkg_admin: The default PKG_DBDIR has changed, but this installation
> still uses the old one.
> Please move the databases and re-run this command:
>         mv /var/db/pkg /usr/pkg/pkgdb
>         mv /var/db/pkg.refcount /usr/pkg/pkgdb.refcount
>
> (my LOCALBASE is set to /usr/local)
>
> mv /var/db/pkg.refcount /usr/local/pkgdb.refcount ; mv /var/db/pkg /usr/local/pkgdb
> pkg_admin rebuild
>
> Stored 0 files and 0 explicit directories from 0 packages in
> /usr/pkg/pkgdb/pkgdb.byfile.db.
> Done.
>
> /usr/pkg?
>
> cat /etc/mk.conf
> LOCALBASE=/usr/local

Be careful not to confuse an intentional desupporting of LOCALBASE with
hardcoded suggestions.

> I am so confused about how this could even get like this. If pkg tools
> don't work in base, then perhaps they should just be removed and
> NetBSD should have to bootstrap, no?

The number of people with non-default LOCALBASE is likely very small.
So there is perhaps an error in handling it.  That doesn't strike me as
surprising.

> Maybe it's time for pkgsrc with 100% relative paths...

If you have  a concrete propsoal that would be in order on tech-pkg...