bzip2 oddness with netcdf

I updated and started a pkg_rr, and osm2pgsql failed not linking
-lbzip2.

It seems bzip2 is builtin, but also that netcdf installs
/usr/pkg/lib/libbzip2*.

Removing netcdf, osm2pgsql builds ok.

netcdf is needed by gdal-lib, and gdal is normal for people that want osm2pgsql.[q

So:
  anybody know why netcdf installs a libbzip2 and why that is ok

  any insight into how this causes trouble with osm2pgsql?

(This is perhaps note-to-self as I feel I'm in somewhat rarified
territory.)