Re: [HEADS UP] pkgsrc default database directory changed

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020, Thomas Klausner wrote:

On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 11:28:41AM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
The new default for the pkgsrc database (which contains information
about all installed packages) in pkgsrc-HEAD has changed from
/var/db/pkg to ${PREFIX}/pkgdb (so usually /usr/pkg/pkgdb).

Since some people have trouble installing a new pkg_install from
pkgsrc (because it depends on cwrappers, which depends on pkg_install)
- the easiest way to get a new pkg_install from pkgsrc is this:

cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
make USE_CWRAPPERS=no install

That will build pkg_install without cwrappers.

I suggest replacing /usr/sbin/pkg_* with /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_* after
this succeeds to avoid further problems.

(I'm one of the "somple haqve trouble installing..." mentioned above!)

Well, that's a bit of a problem for me.  I'm building everything in
a chroot to a freshly-created sandbox (from sysutils/mksandbox) and
/usr is a read-only null-mount file-system.  So I cannot copy the
pkgsrc images to the "real" system.  (And I'm not sure I would want
to be able to affect the "real" system's /usr/bin/ from within the
chroot sandbox.)

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:     |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost     |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost   |