Re: Another macOS 11 fallout

On 2020-11-19 00:35, Greg Troxel wrote:
[.. subversion-base installation is not unattended on macOS ..]

> 1) What is your pkgsrc prefix?

   Oh, right, I forgot to add that:  It's an --unprivileged bootstrap,
so packages live in $HOME/pkg.

> 2) Do you have PKGSRC_RCD_SCRIPTS=yes turned on?  That is a request to
> put the rc.d sripts from $PREFIX/share/examples/rc.d also in /etc/rc.d.
> On older macOS, this works, and if you enable the rc.d scheme via
> launchd in a way I no longer remember, those scripts are run at boot
> time.

   I do not set PKGSRC_RCD_SCRIPTS explicitly:

   $ bmake show-var VARNAME=PKGSRC_RCD_SCRIPTS

   ^ (It doesn't print anything)

> 3) If you do approve it, and add the launchd magic, does it work?

   Denying it causes the operation to fail (obviously).  Allowing it
causes the operation to fail as well (In addition to being unprivileged,
I have SIP enabled as well).  But it doesn't abort the installation,
which I why I suspect that it is a "fail by design" situation.

   The main issue though is that we already have a subversion server, I
just need the client to access that server.  It's unfortunate that
upstream decided that the server and client go hand in hand, imho.

> Overall, it seems like pkgsrc is doing the right thing and apple has
> decided that you should have to click approve.  My immediate reaction is
> that it's not pkgsrc's place to fight what apple says ought to be...

   My counter-argument to that is that I don't expect a package to
install /etc/rc.d content on a non-/etc/rc.d system, just as I would not
expect the subversion package try to install launchd files on a NetBSD
system.

   But your point is taken -- there's another issue one encounters when
installing pkgsrc packages on a fresh macOS system.  Some packages which
don't even use javac, probe the system for one.  macOS intercepts that
and shows a helpful "you seem to want to use javac, but it isn't
installed, click here to install one".  It was a while ago since I saw
that, but I have a vague recollection that that one at least doesn't
block the installation .. but I might be wrong.  So yeah, Apple has put
development time into making unattended processes more difficult.  :/

   The reason this is a little annoying is that I have a mac mini which
typically takes around 12 hours to rebuild all my packages, and I
usually start a rebuild and leave for the office, expecting it to be
almost done when I get back home.

   Anyway; it's no big issue -- I'll simply remove subversion-base from
my build script and install it manually when I'm at the computer and can
click past that dialog window.

--
Kind Regards,
Jan