Re: Bareos in pkgsrc / Web Console?

On 27/10/2020 10:47, Matthias Petermann wrote:

1) /var/run is by default only writable for root. Bareos can therefore not create its PID file with the bareosdir or bareossd-user and the start fails. As a workaround I made /var/run writeable for the whole world. I don't know if this is a good idea or if there is a more elegant way for this? On other systems, I had previously created a subdirectory /var/run/bareos in such cases, then made it writable for the respective users and set in the configurations of the Bareos components according to "pid directory". In NetBSD, however, /var/run seems to be emptied by default on every reboot, which surely has good reasons and makes this approach more difficult.

Have the startup script in rc.d create the /var/run/bareos directory. This is what I do for jenkins which has a similar problem.

2) It would be good to have a "best practice" logger configuration. Currently Baroes cannot create its logfile in /var/log/ due to missing permissions. According to [1] the messages should at least appear in the syslog. I will test this again. What would be useful for most users? Syslog + newsyslog configuration? Then this might be something for the install message.

I think samba runs into this and you can create a /var/log/bareos directory with appropriate permissions. I think samba does this for similar reasons.

Mike