Re: Problem using a second pkgsrc unprivileged

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 12:37:56 +0100
Connor McLaughlan <cont6pro3%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> I have root-access, but want to build several independent pkgsrc trees
> on the same system, preferably with standard packages and paths, so i
> don't have to recompile everything, but focus on where i want to work
> on.

I think the way you explain it, is causing some confusion, I still
can't figure out what you're trying to do:

1) Have all packages installed in single /usr/pkg location, but be able
to build new pkgsrc releases without affecting currently installed
packages on the same machine. The way to do it is to build inside
chroot (or inside a VM), and when new binary packages are ready,
move /usr/pkg to /usr/pkg.old and install new packages to /usr/pkg.

2) Have two, /usr/pkg1 and /usr/pkg2 locations and use them at the same
time. Not sure why you'd want to do that, but if it's to do with
running different versions of the same software at the same time, then
you really need zones/containers for this. Software like network
daemons tend to use specific ports and setup specific users
in /etc/passwd database. Some software can be easily adapted with
different config file, with other software it is much harder to
accomplish this, and you run into conflicts.