Re: Printing and CUPS

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 07:57:34AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 03:12:23PM +1100, Glenn Mawby wrote:
> >> E [14/Oct/2020:20:06:47 +1100] [CGI] Unable to execute ippfind utility: No
> >> such file or directory
> >
> > It seems print/cups-base only provides ippfind if the avahi option is set.
> > This option is not set by default. cc pkgsrc-users for opinions on changing
> > this default, as cups is going "driverless", i.e., no PPDs, and ippfind
> > is part of the way of discovering what a suitable PPD equivalent might be.
>
> Are you saying that ippfind should be built without avahi, or that it
> really needs it?   And that ippfind is non-optional in the cups world
> now, even though somehow it is actually optional in the build system?

Checking, it seems ippfind could be built without avahi (haven't tried),
but in pkgsrc currently ippfind will only be built on Darwin, or with
the avahi option which is off by default.

On another front, I see in cups-filters 1.28.5:

       - driverless: Reduce ippfind calls by "driverless" and
         "driverless-fax"called by CUPS. Let "driverless list" list
         both print and fax PPDs and "driverless-fax list" do
         nothing.

which means an update may help a bit.

I am just noting why OP's log couldn't find ippfind. It ought to be possible to
still set PPD for an HP and print successfully...

Cheers,

Patrick