Re: Strange qemu behavior on sparc64

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 8:24 PM Connor McLaughlan <cont6pro3%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i am using netbsd9.0/sparc64.
>
> When i try to run emulators/qemu from pkgsrc-2020Q1 or pkgsrc-2020Q2,
> all components do nothing. They are also not visible with high load on
> top.
>
> For example i run qemu-img or qemu-system-sparc without any
> parameters. It should come back with a message telling me an error or
> missing parameters i guess...but nothing happens. The terminals just
> sits there and nothing will happen.
>
> ps shows:
> root 21589  0.0  0.1 70432 6464 pts/1  I+    8:16PM 0:00.09 qemu-img
>
> The same happens with gdb qemu-img. After "(gdb) run" it does nothing.
> I have to press ctrl-c to interrupt it and then i will get:
>
> bash-5.0# gdb qemu-img
> GNU gdb (GDB) 8.3
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
> Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "sparc64--netbsd".
> Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
> Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
>     <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
>
> For help, type "help".
> Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
> Reading symbols from qemu-img...
> (No debugging symbols found in qemu-img)
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/pkg/bin/qemu-img
> ^C
> Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
> 0x0000000042952cb4 in ___lwp_park60 () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
> (gdb)
>

> So the process is sleeping or parked. The same happens with all qemu components:
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/pkg/bin/qemu-system-sparc
> ^C
> Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
> 0x0000000044352cb4 in ___lwp_park60 () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
> (gdb)
>

> What is going on here? Can anyone reproduce this on sparc64 or has a
> clue how to fix it?

I am currently trying a different gcc, but I don't know what the
proper method is to change the gcc in pkgsrc.

This seemingly works to change to gcc8 and is compiling right now:
bash-5.0# make GCC_REQD="8" install

This however does not work to use gcc10:

bash-5.0# make GCC_REQD="10" install
ERROR: This package has set PKG_FAIL_REASON:
ERROR: Unable to satisfy dependency: gcc8>=10
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/emulators/qemu