Re: Surprising make behavior (was: Re: strange trouble building qgis)

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 09:21:01AM -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> I'm obviously missing context here, but since I have lots of
> very complicated makefiles in hundreds of branches that depend on the
> handling of $$ I'm not necessarily keen to see it changed.

The context is: there is a file name containing a $, and it is listed
on the RHS of a dependency line:

target:	$$file
	(recipe)

and I would strongly expect that $$file to yield a string "$file" not
be expanded arbitrarily often. Why does it happen to be

target:	$$$$file
	(recipe)

that works here, and not, say, $$$$$file ?

I understand that the handling in general is tricky and of course we often
need to create variables as result of expansions.

Martin