binary package gets installed when compiling from source?

Hi!

I don't think I have seen this before:

I am compiling a package from source, although I have a binary package (of the same version) in my packages directory. I think if I do

make
make install

or the build is interrupted during the install phase (that just happened to me) and I continue

make install

the binary package is installed instead of the freshly built version. Only when I do "make install" right from the start, the newly built package is installed.

What's this and how do I prevent this behaviour (except maybe removing the binary package)?