Re: proposal to make bootstrap on Linux prefer pkgsrc by default.

Jason Bacon <outpaddling%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> On 2020-08-10 11:44, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> So far, we have had discussion that supports changing it on Linux.
>> Specific othesr, not so much, and "all others", not at all.  So I'd
>> prefer to just change it on Linux where we have a good basis to believe
>> that's in the interest of someone who doesn't understand this issue and
>> runs bootstrap.

> I think the same reasoning would apply to Dragonfly BSD, FreeBSD,
> OpenBSD, or any other platform where pkgsrc would be used alongside a
> native package manager.

Maybe, maybe not.  BSD systems don't have such a reputation for ABI
instability within a stable branch.   I wouild prefer not to change
them until we have reports from real users about ABI issues within a
stable branch.  (Everybody knows, or should now, that a major branch
change in a a base OS is an ABI change and thus requires a rebuild.)