Re: proposal to make bootstrap on Linux prefer pkgsrc by default.

On 2020-08-11 06:43, Denys Nykula wrote:
"Hauke Fath" <hf%spg.tu-darmstadt.de@localhost> 11 August 2020, 13:31:57:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 18:47:43 -0500, Jason Bacon wrote:
It may not be a voting platform per se, but we do need feedback from
the community to make good decisions, so thanks.
Will be glad to see a --prefer-pkgsrc default. Beside it, would be nice
if bootstrap were able to build awk on a from-scratch system having
none yet. As far as I remember, it dies with "not found in path", so
before launching the bootstrap, I manually build the same pkgsrc nawk
with something like:

cc -static $CFLAGS -o$prefix/bin/awk $LDFLAGS \
   `f=$pkgsrcdir/lang/nawk/files; cd $f; for c in *.c; do
     if [ $c != maketab.c ]; then printf '%s/%s ' $f $c; fi; done`
Sounds like there's strong support for this and no cause for concern, so I'll plan to do the commit in the next week or so.