Re: stray '\' in several gstreamer related files

On 2020-07-06, Connor McLaughlan <cont6pro3%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> my system is debian linux on sparc on which i am using a bootstrapped
> pkgsrc-2020Q1
>
> Several gstreamer-related files won't compile unless stray '\' are
> removed on includes.

I ran into this issue as well, also on Linux.

It looks like a GNU make 4.2/4.3 incompatibility.

See the following example:

$ make-4.2 -f - <<'EOF'
x = $(foreach i,1 2 3,\#$(i))
$(info $(x))
EOF
#1 #2 #3
make: *** No targets.  Stop.

$ make-4.3 -f - <<'EOF'
x = $(foreach i,1 2 3,\#$(i))
$(info $(x))
EOF
\#1 \#2 \#3
make: *** No targets.  Stop.

However, if I remove the backslash before the #, make 4.2 fails:

$ make-4.2 -f - <<'EOF'
x = $(foreach i,1 2 3,#$(i))
$(info $(x))
EOF
/tmp/Gmckmjoc:1: *** unterminated call to function 'foreach': missing
')'.  Stop.

So this seems like a bug in
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/common/-/blob/master/gst-glib-gen.mak#L11.

I'm not sure how to fix this in a way that works on both GNU make 4.2 and 4.3.