Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/www/firefox

Thomas Klausner <tk%giga.or.at@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 07:11:54AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> (As for DoH, I can see it being good for some people in some
>> circumstances, but it is not reasonable to silently turn it on for
>> people who had no idea it existed.)
>
> On the other hand, it's not something we should disable without
> notice, since the default change in firefox has been heavily
> publicized and discussed.

I had actually missed the discussion; perhaps I didn't look at the right forum.

So I guess it needs a default of "none" and a popup to have the user
select.   Upstream really shouldn't have done it without people
agreeing.

So certainly this needs to be in the next quarterly release announcement.

> People have different preferences and this feature does encrypt some
> traffic that wasn't encrypted before.

Yes, and it sends it (encrypted) to third parties, rather than to the
user's configured DNS.

Is there a link to the privacy policy (and auditing of it) of all of the
preconfigured providers, which addresses things like

  they don't retain any information, even for debugging
  they don't use the information
  what they do about court orders and law enforcement requests