Re: Problem building gstreamer1

> Pe 28 mai 2020, la 07:51, Roland Illig <roland.illig%gmx.de@localhost> a scris:
>
> Patching the files would be wrong.  Instead, find out the actual cause.
>
> As you can see in libs/gst/controller/Makefile (around line 1096), the
> file is autogenerated by glib-mkenums.
>
> bmake build-env
> cd libs/gst/controller
> make clean
> make V=1 controller-enumtypes.c
>
> The program glib-mkenums is written in Python and is relatively easy to
> understand.  You can add print statements in it to see what is happening
> and to track down the actual cause.

Hi Roland,

Thanks for your input!

I narrowed the problem down to my GNU Make version - 4.3 (this is also
mentioned in the link I sent earlier).
The culprit is this: (libs/gst/controller/Makefile:594)
```
enum_headers = $(foreach h,$(glib_enum_headers),\n\#include \"$(h)\”)
```
‘#’ does not need to be escaped anymore in Make 4.3, which breaks
backward compatibility.

Thankfully, pkgsrc still packages gmake-4.2.1, so I decided to install that
instead of writing patches.
Also added `TOOLS_PLATFORM.gmake?=	/usr/pkg/bin/gmake` to
mk.conf to override my system’s make. This solves my problem with
building gstreamer and related packages.

I’d rather wait for a new upstream release rather than patch for Make 4.3.
I believe they are removing autotools in favor of meson so any patches
might become irrelevant.

Best,
Dan

P.S. Sorry about flooding the list with duplicate messages. I was figuring
out how to post here and it seems there is a delay before messages
appear in the archive or the NNTP frontend.