Re: databases/openldap-server bdb backend

Seems you are right, mdb is the preferred default.

From https://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/756.html:
- back-mdb is the "primary" storage database backend. This backend
manages directory objects in an embedded database and is more fully
featured than other backends. back-mdb is superior to the deprecated
back-hdb and back-bdb backends.
- back-bdb and back-hdb are deprecated backends based on BerkeleyDB.
They generally should no longer be used. A license change by Oracle
has removed compatibility for BDB 6 and later releases with OpenLDAP
software.

It should be switched.