Re: detect packages on system path when building

On 05.05.2020 03:53, Klaatu wrote:
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've searched and can't seem to find
the answer.

* I have foo installed in /usr/bin
* I want to install bar with pkgsrc to /usr/local/bin
* bar requires foo

Pkgsrc detects packages in /usr/local, and so it attempts to install a local
version of foo. How do I tell pkgsrc about system's /usr/bin/foo so as to
avoid a new local install?

The usual way is via a buildlink3.mk file combined with a builtin.mk
file, both for the package foo.

Now if you could tell us your value of foo, I could give you more
specific instructions. For now, I can only suggest that you read
https://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/pkgsrc.html#writing-builtin.mk, which
will point you in the right direction.

I've tried setting the LOCALBASE to /usr/bin temporarily during my build, but
that failed and so I feel I'm on the wrong path there.

Urgs, your feeling is completely correct. :)