Seek suggestion on choice of TeXLive on Linux

I have a Ubuntu Linux system where I installed TeXLive from the system's
binary repository.

When it came to installing additional packages, the `tlmgr' package
manager insisted on installing it in `user mode' i.e. in user's home
directory. Did not find any option to change this behavior if I want it
system wide.

Did a web search and found no method to make a routine system wide
installation of packages.

Thought of installing directly from texlive archive, but noticed that the
installation page already threatens with the statement: "Indeed, we
recommend installing it as a normal user"
https://www.tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html

I can understand their giving a choice to install as normal user, but why
close down the option of system level installation totally baffles me.

I'd probably switch to pkgsrc just to get the choice of system-wide
installation.

Any other comments or suggestions?

Mayuresh