Re: How do I update all my installed packages from source?

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 11:33, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > It seems the magic (emphasis on the word magic) command is something like:
> >   pkg_rolling-replace -u
> > - can that be documented?

> did you not read down to
>   https://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/how_to_upgrade_packages/#index7h2
> ?

As I noted in my initial post, I read The Guide.  To be specific:

-> 3. Where to get pkgsrc and how to keep it up-to-date
-> 3.2. Keeping pkgsrc up-to-date
it looks promising, explains how to switch branches, but not what to do next
(grit teeth and ignore very dated documentation on ssh et.al.)

-> 5. Using pkgsrc
-> 5.2. Building packages from source
-> 5.2.3. How to build and install
no luck

Trying searches for words like "update" "upgrade" does turn up "make
upgrade" but it isn't part of the user guide and as I quickly
discovered, isn't something to type at the top level :-(

So.  If one of the plethora of options suggested in the above wiki
page is officially sanctioned, then shouldn't it be added to The
Guide?  Presumably, updating from one PKCSRC release to the next is a
common work flow.