Re: Binary package for spamassassin requires excessive dependencies?

On 2020-03-08 10:56 a.m., Greg Troxel wrote:
Can you check if the actual binary  package lists those dependencies,
by fetching it separately and funning pkg_info on it?

I have built it locally and also see nothing like this; just wget,
gnup2, re2c and a bunch of perl modules.
pkg_info -S reports 93 MB.   Which is a big, but nothing like what you
are seeing.

(Basically, we need to first understand if this is a bug in the built
package or a bug in pkgin).)

Using pkg_info the dependencies listed for spamassassin-3.4.2nb2.tgz fetched from 9.0/All are:

Requires:
p5-Digest-SHA1-[0-9]*
p5-HTML-Parser>=3.43
p5-Mail-DKIM>=0.40
p5-Mail-SPF-[0-9]*
p5-NetAddr-IP>=4.007
p5-Net-DNS>=1.01
p5-libwww-[0-9]*
re2c>=0.13.6
p5-IO-Socket-SSL>=0.92
p5-IO-Socket-INET6-[0-9]*
gnupg2-[0-9]*
wget-[0-9]*
perl>=5.30.0<5.32.0

and for spamassassin-3.4.2nb2.tgz from the 8.1/All directory I receive the following list of dependencies:

Requires:
p5-Digest-SHA1-[0-9]*
p5-HTML-Parser>=3.43
p5-Mail-DKIM>=0.40
p5-Mail-SPF-[0-9]*
p5-NetAddr-IP>=4.007
p5-Net-DNS>=1.01
p5-libwww-[0-9]*
re2c>=0.13.6
p5-IO-Socket-SSL>=0.92
p5-IO-Socket-INET6-[0-9]*
gnupg2-[0-9]*
wget-[0-9]*
perl>=5.30.0<5.32.0

So this seems as expected and fine.

In the process of doing this I needed to install wget since this was a clean 9.0 install.  I immediately found wget was exhibiting the same behaviour (massive dependencies required).  So it appears nothing is wrong with the spamassassin package and the problem lies somewhere else.

Using the older pkg_add command for either spamassassin or wget resulted in a core dump, so it appears something's really wrong somewhere.  Now to track down what and where.

This system is to go in a DMZ so I don't wish to install pkgsrc or compilation tools on it since it will be slightly exposed to the outside Internet.  I could build the packages from pkgsrc on another system, but I'd like to figure out what's gone wrong before deploying this one.

I'll update this thread once I figure out where the problem is.  If anyone has any ideas please feel welcome to make suggestions.

Kind regards,
Dave