Re: pkgsrc on Linux, how to get started and distinguish packages from base system?

On 2020-02-21 06:22, Tom H wrote:
I noticed the list of prerequisite packages for debian-world systems,
am not familiar with most of those packages by the names in that list.
https://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/how_to_use_pkgsrc_on_linux/

has

gcc (and libstdc++)
libncurses-devel
zlib and zlib-devel
openssl-devel
libudev-dev

They're a mix Debian and RHEL names.
I always begin with CentOS-minimal, and install only these via yum:

gcc-gfortran
gcc-c++
gcc
openjdk

This minimal set is the basis for the bulk builds I alluded to in my last message.

pkgsrc provides everything else for itself.

The fewer Linux-native packages are installed, the fewer leakage issues you'll have building in pkgsrc.

On systems where I have to install a lot of software from yum, I mostly use binary packages from my bulk builds (done in a pristine minimal chroot) rather than build from source and risk leakage-related failures.  Leakage only tends to occur during build.  The use of rpath mostly protects against it at run-time.

    JB