Re: Problems building pkgin on NetBSD 7/8

* On 2020-01-22 at 16:36 GMT, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > * On 2020-01-22 at 01:36 GMT, Greg Troxel wrote:

> >> It might be somewhat about how you download the openssl sources.  I am
> >> really not clear on the overall plan here; it's a twisty maze and easy
> >> to break.
> >
> > Right, you can't bootstrap if openssl is an enabled option.
> >
> > We get around that by building the initial bootstrap with openssl
> > disabled, and then distribute the rebuilt pkg_install with it enabled
> > in binary kits.
>
> Do you me 'we joyent'

Yes.

> and is this build once and rebuild pkg-install notion (which seems
> like a reasonable way around this) scripted?

The only bit that needs to be scripted is installing pkg_install from
the binary repository after the bulk build has finished.  So, yes, but
it's not very interesting:

  https://github.com/joyent/pkgbuild/blob/master/scripts/mk-release-bootstrap#L50-L54

Thus we have two bootstrap kits, the original non-SSL pkgsrc bootstrap
that is used for building everything, and then we repackage that up at
the end into a complete bootstrap kit for users.