Re: minidlna buffer overflow on netbsd-8/amd64

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 04:49:00AM -0500, John D. Baker wrote:
> I'll need a bit more guidance here.  Simply running it manually with
> the same arguments as it would have when started by its rc script simply
> said:
>
>   (gdb) set args -R -f /usr/pkg/etc/minidlna.conf
>   (gdb) run
>   Starting program: /usr/pkg/sbin/minidlnad -R -f /usr/pkg/etc/minidlna.conf
>   [Inferior 1 (LWP 0) exited normally]

It deamonizes (forks a new background process) and then exits.
Your gdb session only sees the parent process, and that exits cleanly. The
background child then does the real work and crashes.

Most damenons have a command line option to avoid that for debugging purposes,
and if I looked at the right man page, so does this one:

	  -d      Activate debug mode (do not daemonize).

Martin