Re: Pkgsrc vs Linux

On 2019-10-09 09:37, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 at 02:01, Jason Bacon <outpaddling%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:

CentOS 7 will remain the mainstream for a few more years.  8 has some
major upgrades, but (or maybe "therefore") it will take a long time for
the commercial app vendors to catch up.  I've been through this
transition from 5 to 6 to 7, trust me...

I've just realised that Centos 8 has already been released:
https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS8.1905

If I only make a minimal install, will it be robust enough to build
packages for pkgsrc?

Yes, I always build packages on an absolutely minimal install.  See my pbulk setup instructions for details:

    http://netbsd.org/~bacon/

Note that I haven't touched CentOS 8 yet and probably won't until the end of the year, so auto-pkgsrc-setup is completely untested on it at this point.  If you want an easy life, stick with CentOS 7 for a while.

Also expect a lot of security patches and bug fixes with CentOS 8 for the next couple years.  The RHEL/CentOS 7 patching frenzy is just now starting to settle down.  Until a month or two ago, I had to update and reboot my C7 servers roughly every few weeks.  This is just the process for enterprise Linux - they take a snapshot of a bleeding-edge system and then spend years working out the glitches, back-porting fixes from newer kernels and libraries, etc.  A new major release happens whenever they feel it's stable enough to be a supportable product, but the work is far from finished at that point.

I held off on upgrading my production systems to C7 until it started getting difficult to support C6.

Best,

    JB