Re: gnuradio and py-scipy

Adam <adam%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> Correct. And Python 2.7 is going to be retired by the end of the year.

If you mean upstream will declare it EOL and we'll have long period of
an odd situation, agreed.  But we are not going to be removing it from
pkgsrc -- lots of things still use it.  Yes, that puts users in a
situation of having to choose between stop using some software and using
a python that is (very recently) unmaintained, but that's how it is.

With any luck the official EOL will spur the laggards to endure the pain
of converting to python3.

> I am not updating some packages for the reason you mentioned, but
> I think we should either get rid of some, or create multiple version, like
> SciPy.

I agree this is hard, and I think it's good not to break things.  Adding
in last-working-version-with-2.7 for things that have non-3.x-ok
depening packages seems like a good coping plan, that avoids breaking
the 2.7-using packages and also doesn't hold back people using 3.x code.

>>> AFAIR I had some problems building gnuradio. I can give it another go.
>>
>> That would be great.   If you can flip the dependency to py-scipy12,
>> that seems reasonable as at least an interim step.
>
> In ham/gnuradio-core/options.mk I see
>
> DEPENDS+= ${PYPKGPREFIX}-scipy-[0-9]*:../../math/py-scipy12
>
> Is it still picking the newer version for you?

pkg_rr didn't rebuild it.   Perhaps that's because gnuradio-core wasn't
revbumped.   I have kicked off a make replace.

Also, that pattern seems funny, becuse the newly built py27-scipy12
won't match the left hand side.

The make replace happily took my installed py27-scipy-1.1.0.  Which I
suppose is not exactly wrong, but it's not helpful in rebuilding
gnuradio-core to no longer use py27-scipy.

So I think we need to change the DEPENDS to explicitly require scipy12;
I'll try that.