rust & clang

Hello,

   A long time ago I tried to build firefox on one of my NetBSD systems
which is a "pure clang" system in the sense that is doesn't have gcc in
base.  Unfortunately it wouldn't build because the rust bootstrap kit
executables required /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so (or whatever the file was).

   Is this still the case?  Is it possible to avoid this somehow without
having to build & install gcc?  Would it be possible to statically link
any gcc-specific libraries into the official bootstrap kit?

--
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson