Need for FORCE_PKG_REGISTER to avoid snags when updating packages

When installing or updating a package in NetBSD with pkgsrc, or I suppose any OS that might use pkgsrc, the build may be stopped by an earlier version of a dependency.

For example,

=> Creating binary package /BETA1/pkgsrc/lang/ruby24-base/work899.amd64/.packages/ruby24-base-2.4.6.tgz
===> Building binary package for ruby24-base-2.4.6
=> Creating binary package /usr/packages/All/ruby24-base-2.4.6.tgz
===> Installing binary package of ruby24-base-2.4.6
pkg_add: A different version of ruby24-base-2.4.6 is already installed: ruby24-base-2.4.5
pkg_add: 1 package addition failed
*** Error code 1

This is very annoying, even though I can pkg_delete -f (ruby24-base in this case), and then go to the appropriate directory and make install.

This is very inefficient compared to just keeping going, as I believe can be dome in FreeBSD ports by including in /etc/make.conf,

FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes

or setting via the command line.

How can I achieve this effect in pkgsrc where FORCE_PKG_REGISTER is not available?

I know there is pkg_rolling-replace in pkgsrc, but this does not always work, for instance when packages are removed or renamed, or in the case of a pkg_update gone awry.

Tom