Re: devel/git and devel/git-base are confusing

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:19:38AM +0000, nia wrote:
>> problem:
>>
>> users expect the git package to just contain the command line tools
>> and nothing else.
>
> Different users have different expectations. I'm quite against any such
> churn.

I agree and am also strongly opposed to such rototilling.  In
particular, a package named "git" should definitely have man pages.

The packages git, git-base, git-docs, and git-gitk all have a DESCR that
explains what is in them.  The current division is longstanding, so many
many people expect it to be how it is.

I don't understand what problem nia@ is trying to solve, really, becuase

>> users expect the git package to just contain the command line tools
>>  and nothing else.

to me seems untrue.  Even if I did not know the current organization, I
would expect a package named git to contain all of the things normally
installed from the upstream git release tarballs.  As I see it, as much
as tk is disliked, gitk is a core feature of git.

So if someone just installs "git", then they might get gitk, tk, tcl
more than they wanted.  But they more or less have what is expected for
git.

If they want only the command line and not gitk and not manuals, that's
a subset -- which is a fine thing to want -- and pkgsrc generally has
foo-base for just the minimal part of things.

Speculating, if the real issue is

  On GNU/Linux systems the package called git only has the command line
  tools and we should match GNU/Linux.

then I don't agree with the premise that pkgsrc should match.  We have a
long history of our own, and in particular we don't split foo and
foo-devel to include .h/.a.   So there shouldn't be any expectations
of matching.

We have not been getting complaints of "I selected git with pkgin and
now I have X that I don't want."  So as I see it, we don't have a
problem, and churn is always bad, particularly given our upgade tools.