Re: Question about cvs, git, github and shallow clones

from John Klos:

> There's no way pkgsrc would ever possibly move to github, since github is a
> political / business entity.

> Moving to git is not likely to even be an option any time soon. Currently, git
> isn't part of the NetBSD base OS, and it would need to be in order to consider
> moving to git. Last time I checked, git needed something like 28 other
> packages to build and run, so unless / until someone makes a simpler git, I
> can't imagine that happening any time soon.

FreeBSD uses svn to update doc, ports and src, and there is no svn in the base system, though there is an optional svnlite.

There is also portsnap, but this is only for FreeBSD ports.

I specify WITHOUT_PORTSNAP and WITHOUT_SVNLITE in /etc/src.conf, since I prefer the full subversion package.

One message from maya%netbsd.org@localhost suggests NetBSD moving to mercurial.  I have never built mercurial because I had no use for it, but maybe I should build mercurial (hg) just in case I suddenly find I need it.

> The current plan is to move to Mercurial and keep self-hosting.
> GitHub issues and pull requests are and will keep being acceptable,
> though.

> Right now committers don't have special GitHub access because of
> concerns it comes with repository write access and the risk of
> accidental commits to the mirror. We can probably do better...

Tom