Re: changing the default ghostscript type

On Sat 16 Mar 2019 at 12:33:05 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> writes:
> > Adding the cups option would make it actually usable.
>
> It's really not clear to me what's going on here.  My understanding,
> somewhat fuzzy, is that upstream ghostscript dropped the cups option,
> and there is code in cups-filters that does this instead.

It was also a while ago that I looked at it in detail, so I had a quick
look again just now, and I found this sequence of "events":

/usr/pkg/share/cups/mime/cupsfilters-ghostscript.convs contains

application/postscript          application/pdf     0 gstopdf

so gstopdf gets run to convert postscript to pdf.

/usr/pkg/libexec/cups/filter/gstopdf calls $CUPS_SERVERBIN/filter/gstoraster

(Other entries in cupsfilters-ghostscript.convs may call gstoraster
directly; I'm not sure anymore which, if any, application/vnd.cups*
types are used as intermediates)

/usr/pkg/libexec/cups/filter/gstoraster is a binary which contains
strings like "-sDEVICE=cups"

and that device is not compiled into ghostscript by default.

Ghostscript-gpl also supplies such an executable that isn't identical
but it seemed similar enough in functionality.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- "What good is a Ring of Power
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- if you're unable...to Speak." - Agent Elrond