Re: add GoldenCheetah?

Jason Thorpe wrote:

> > On Mar 1, 2019, at 10:42 PM, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 06:45:54PM -0500, MLH wrote:
> >> Speaking of bicycles...
> >>
> >> A while ago I gave up trying to set up http://www.goldencheetah.org/
> >> to even grab the distfile from https://github.com/GoldenCheetah.
> >> They changed the distribution site a bit since then so those are
> >> easier to grab but other problems still.
> >
> > Way cool, I wasn't aware of that.
> >
> > Off topic: can someone recommend a simple tracker
> > to use with it? So far I avoided all this stuff (due to deep mistrust
> > of makers and their "privacy" policy).

> Well,  ... it's a training-with-power application, so you need
> something that can get data out of your power meter... My power
> meter data is collected by a Garmin head unit (currently a 510),
> and GoldenCheetah should be able to read the FIT files from the
> Garmin just fine.  There's no requirement to use any online service
> with the Garmin head unit.
>
> -- thorpej > >

Yes, and GC reads .fit files just fine and NetBSD can read those
files via USB very easily from all of the power meter heads I've
tried the last few years.

There are many power meters and heads out there these days. I
started using GC back in 2009 when training for RAAM and other
ultra races, which was before the online options came out. I don't
use the online services, precisely due to those privacy issues.

I went through several Garmin heads with my Quarq power meters and
generally detest them due to the pretty horrible support Garmin
provides with them but early on they were about the only game in
town. There are more decent options these days. I started running
a Lezyne unit last spring after Garmin refused to repair my last
Garmin that went south. The Lezyne units cost about half what the
Garmins do and are very competitive with features. About the only
thing they are still lagging behind on is turn-by-turn directions.
Garmin units can generate those using a GPS track file (which you
can easily generate using Viking (in pkgsrc - yay!). The Lezyne
units still require something like Ride with GPS, which I'm not
interested in using. Hoping they fix that hole before long.

I looked into porting GC to pkgsrc back in 2010 and it would have
been a big effort at that time and I didn't have the time. I looked
at it a year ago again and I couldn't get their distfile naming
scheme (git) to work with pkgsrc so quit again.

GC has provides some very good training techniques and tools and
is local to your machine, which is why it would be very nice to
have it running via pkgsrc.