Re: Cross-compiling for ARM

Jaap Boender <jaapb%kerguelen.org@localhost> writes:

> I'm trying to set up cross-compilation for pkgsrc from amd64 to arm
> (compiling webkit-gtk2 on the pinebook is quite slow...). This is
> running on a NetBSD/amd64-current box (8.99.31), and I'm using the
> instructions from doc/HOWTO-use-crosscompile.

It's great to see you trying to do this.  I dimly remember this working
around 20 years ago when someone was building sun2 or sun3 packages on
sparc, or something like that.

I do not have a clear memory of recent success.

My advice would be to try to build for i386 on amd64 and see how that
goes.  Not because it gets you the packages you want, but you might have
to deal with half the bugs, twice, that way, and I tend to perceive
debugging effort for b bugs as b^N, for some N around 1.5 :-)

My other advice is to think about using the cross toolchain and distcc.
I have not actually set that up, and I think it would be nice if we had
a canned approach to cross distcc (perhaps even modifying distcc to send
and expose an arch tuple so a machine could select the right compiler
automatically).