evolution mail: calendar/contacts issues

I've finally decided to give up on kde (again) and switch to back to
xfce4 and so am looking to replace kmail/korganiser. I don't want to use
thunderbird and so I have been playing with evolution and Installed the
version from pkgsrc-2018Q3. This went fine and I configured up mail OK
and that seems to work with light testing. On the main screen there are
buttons to switch to:

Contacts
Calendars
Tasks
Memos

The latter two have appropriate icons, but the former have boxes with
red crosses which sort of imply they won't work. Tasks and Memos seem to
do the right thing, Contacts and Calendars just cause a core dump -
sadly these are two things I need...

The doesn't appear to be anything in the build config to disable these
so I assume they are built normally.

Anyone got any clue or advice, In fact does anyone use evolution?

I could use claws-mail and orage, but the latter doesn't handle caldav
protocol and I don't want to use a separate syncer program.

The version of evolution in pkgsrc is pretty old and I note there
doesn't appear to be any work on a later version in wip. I could spend
some time looking at getting the latest version running, but would
prefer to avoid having to do this at present. Would be happy to work on
it once I have a bit more free time...

Dave
Phone: 07805784357
Open Source O/S: www.netbsd.org