Re: portable make suffix transformation rules

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 03:04:37PM +0200, Rhialto wrote:
|On Sun 26 Aug 2018 at 17:35:51 +1000, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
|> As I understand it from the man page, the following should work:
|>
|> |.SUFFIXES: .svg
|
|You should also have .dot in .SUFFIXES, since that isn't one of those
|suffixes that is in there already. It should be before .svg, since one
|makes .dot into .svg.

*facepalm* ... I knew it was something simple ... yes, that worked, ta

The annoyance is that I tried the example in the man page (as below):

|.SUFFIXES: .o
|.c.o:
|	cc -o ${.TARGET} -c ${.IMPSRC}

... I think that worked because of other definitions in sys.mk which
added .c to .SUFFIXES, so I was none the wiser when I swapped those out
for my own ... grah ...

can we change the example in the man page to be self-contained? Perhaps:

|.SUFFIXES
|  Each source specifies a pair of suffixes to bmake. If no sources are
|  specified, any previously specified suffixes are deleted. It allows
|  the creation of suffix-transformation rules.
|
|  Example:
|
|    .SUFFIXES: .c .o
|    .c.o:
|    	cc -o ${.TARGET} -c ${.IMPSRC}

Yes, this would be redundant and could be potentially misleading for
other reasons, but I wouldn't have been trying to get this apparently
simply modified example to work for over a year, off and on ... :)

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert