Re: uuid dance

On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 10:42:57AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost> writes:
>
> > What is the "uuid dance"?
> >
> > I see:
> >
> > ===> Configuring for farsight2-0.0.31nb31
> > cp ../../net/gupnp/files/uuid.pc /tmp/pkgsrc/multimedia/farsight2/work/.buildlink/lib/pkgconfig/
> > cp: /tmp/pkgsrc/multimedia/farsight2/work/.buildlink/lib/pkgconfig/uuid.pc: Permission denied
> >
> > which apparently is from net/gupnp/buildlink3.mk.
> >
> > This is the most hopeful part in the history of that file:
> >
> > Author: wiz <wiz%pkgsrc.org@localhost>
> > Date:   Wed Nov 30 18:40:32 2011 +0000
> >
> >     Do the uuid dance properly.
> >     XXX: will hopefully not be necessary once libuuid/builtin.mk works
> >
> > Anyone remember what problem this is solving?
>
> I am guessing it's that libuuid's builtin.mk is supposed to cons up a pc
> file, so that things that expect it work.
>
> I would check to see if the file already exists and is 444 or something;
> there are many problems in pkgsrc with read-only source trees, and it
> may need cp -f.
> Or that directory may not exist.

Thing is, farsight2 shouldn't care at all about libuuid. It is net/gupnp's
problem - so why have this in gupnp's buildlink3.mk at all?
(Hence "what problem is this trying to fix?")

Part 2 is whether gnupnp needs to do extra work vis-a-vis libuuid.pc, or
whether this means libuuid/builtin.mk needs attention.

Cheers,

Patrick