Re: Please help test new pkgin

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 04:10:11PM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> * On 2018-06-11 at 15:58 BST, Matthias Ferdinand wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 at 11:07:34PM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> > >  * Packages are now refreshed if their BUILD_DATE changes, ensuring
> > >    rebuilt dependencies are correctly handled.
> >
> > with my repositories being built by applying pkg_rolling-replace to a
> > build host, this leads to many unnecessary downloads and updates.
>
> They aren't unnecessary.

In my case, they actually are :-)

> > I attached a patch to make this build date check optional ("-B" as in
> > Build-Date).
>
> Sorry but I'm not going to accept any patches to make this optional,
> it is now considered a core requirement.

I seem to remember that packages that were actually supposed to be
updated from repositories would get an explicit change in version number
(revbump), e.g. increasing the nb patch level number.

But yes, it would happen ever so often that e.g. a libboost update was
not followed by the necessary revbump of say libreoffice.

> modified.  This is possible with pbulk, I've never used pkg-rr but I
> assume it has something similar.
At some point there was a "-U" option to this effect, but since recently
it seems to be gone.

If you insist on BUILD_DATE checking being the default, then how about
providing the ability to switch it off on purpose?

Regards
Matthias Ferdinand