Re: Package options dialog

On 05/06/18 10:53, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:

I recommend to struggle for sane defaults in binary packages and leave
package options for advanced or motivated users only.

This approach works well in the Linux world. There are options in e.g.
RPM packages, but nobody is using them.
Default build options have to produce portable binaries, which can be significantly slower than what's possible on newer CPUs.

Scientists often use hundreds of thousands of core-hours for a single study in HPC, so they're motivated, but I wouldn't call most of them advanced.  They need an easy way to build optimized binaries so they can focus on the science they do well rather than the IT that distracts them from it.