Fontconfig errors with firefox (and possibly others)

With a recent build of www/firefox (59) I get the following error at
launch:

Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

Read somewhere about FONTCONFIG_PATH and tried this:

FONTCONFIG_PATH=/usr/pkg/share/examples/fontconfig/ firefox

It gives more errors like:
Fontconfig warning: line 5: unknown element "its:rules"
Fontconfig warning: line 6: unknown element "its:translateRule"
Fontconfig error: line 6: invalid attribute 'translate'
Fontconfig error: line 6: invalid attribute 'selector'
Fontconfig error: line 7: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
Fontconfig error: line 7: invalid attribute 'version'
Fontconfig warning: line 9: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

Read this thread suggesting the file format changes:

Is it the same problem that we are facing here and in NetBSD's context
what should be done.

This was on amd64 8.0_RC1 with pkgsrc current.

Mayuresh.