Conventions/policy regarding packages in pkgsrc-wip that use wip/mk/git-package.mk

Hello, everyone!

I just noticed many packages in wip that end on -git.
They all use wip/mk/git-package.mk which seems to allow fetching sources directly from git.

This seems great for development, but I'm not sure if it gives any advantage for "stable" packages. What usually happens when these packages get imported to the main pkgsrc repo?

Is it OK to have both versions of a package, one that uses git-package.mk and one that fetches a tarball?

I happen to submit wip/toxcore (with fixed version 0.1.11) before realizing what wip/toxcore-git package is.

--
Aleksej Lebedev