mplayer/ffmpeg3 vs. libvdpau: HW-specific libraries?

Using the built-in video on an intel G41TY-based board, launching 'mplayer'
displays the following (via ffmpeg3):

[...]
Failed to open VDPAU backend Shared object "libvdpau_i965.so" not found
[vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
[...]

It seems something decided that such a HW-specific library would be
appropriate, but nothing of the sort is part of the "libvdpau" package.
It's not a fatal condition, but I find the probing curious and wonder
if I might be otherwise missing out on some performance boost.

I don't see any reference to "i965" in any file under the "libvdpau"
package work directory, so it doesn't appear to be a case of a disabled
component.  Sensitive to build environment (build host has radeon not
supported by DRMKMS)?