Re: Multiple instances of pkgsrc: more documentation needed (probably)

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-degen%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> "Note: It is possible to bootstrap multiple instances of pkgsrc using
> non-intersecting directories. Use bmake corresponding to the
> installation you're working with to build and install packages."
>
> While simple in principle, this is more complicated in practice.
>
> Assume for example a non-NetBSD host machine. Let's say I want to have
> three pkgsrc roots (vanilla latest stable, vanilla current, and a
> forked one from third parties). To make things easier, all the three
> of them are bootstrapped with --unprivileged on non intersecting paths
> on the filesystem.
>
> It's all ok if I "bmake" and "bmake install" using absolute paths. The
> resulting binaries will be installed in different directories.

Yes, this seems to work.   You just have to call the right bmake, and it
has paths built in (or read from the mk.conf that it finds).

> But what if I want to run the installed packages in cascading order?
>
> Let's say I modify $PATH to run:
>
> /path-to-stable/pkg/bin:          # first
> /path-to-current/pkg/bin:          # second
> /path-to-3rdparty/pkg/bin:       #third
> $PATH                                  #native OS binaries last.
>
> Would/wouldn't any conflct arise at any point?

Here, I think you have all the same problems of multiple copies of
things, not really about pkgsrc.

Probably, you want these to be independent.  If /path/first/bin/foo
calls bar, then that really should be /path/first/bin/bar, so it gets a
conistent version.  But programs might call some other name, expecting
it to be maybe there and maybe not, and thus might find
/path/second/bin/bar, which might work or might be trouble.

So you could set path to have one or the other, in various shells.

But my guess is that the trouble you'll have won't be great.

> Has anybody practical experience of such a configuration?

No :-)  But that didn't stop me from commenting.