Wine AMD64 vs i386

Wine on several Linux platforms I use occasionally will come in both 32 and 64 bit flavors (I'm thinking of the Devuan package for Wine). On NetBSD AMD64, one cannot build wine, but rather only wine-devel. The resulting build produces a wine64 version but no 32-bit version.

Wine64 runs basically nothing. I haven't even been able to get it to run 64-bit binaries. It's useless. Maybe I'm just picking all the wrong stuff to try (doubt that), but the bottom line is that it does very little, if anything. I'd much rather have the 32-bit version. It actually runs quite a few Windows apps (things like RegExBuddy and MS Office 2003 run fine). I don't often run Windows apps, but when I do I prefer to use NetBSD Wine(32).

The inverse problem preventing me from simply living on i386 is that NetBSD i386 can't even boot with PAE enabled on any of my hardware (3-4 machines I run NetBSD on). It simply locks up and turns the screen some pretty colors. It's been broken for *years*. So, I can't really even choose to stay stuck on the i386 build, since it's not going to support the 24GB of RAM in machine (not even close). Not updating PAE support makes NetBSD on i386 feel pretty abandoned. Who wants to throw away most of their RAM just to be able to run Wine ?

Any chance of getting 32-bit Wine in AMD64 or seeing PAE fixed in i386?

-Swift